Information for the General Public


Applying for Adoptions

Adoption is a about providing a child with a permanent, loving and legally secure home with parents who are committed to the child’s welfare. | learn about the application process

Applying for Child Custody

When either parent, grandparent or guardian of a child apply to the Grand Court for an order for custody. | learn about the application process

Applying for Child & Spouse Maintenance

If your spouse is not supporting you and/or your children, you can apply for child & spouse maintenance. | learn about the application process

Applying for Domestic Restraint Orders

If you are married or living together as man and wife and there is violence or the threat of violence within the family you may apply to a magistrate for a domestic order to stop the violence. | learn more

Making an application under the Children Law

The court makes most decisions about children using the Children Law (2012 Revision). If you want the court to make a decision about a child you need to apply to the court
for an ‘order’. An order will be made when the judge makes a decision. | learn about the application process

Applying for Legal Aid (Civil)

The Legal Aid Law (1999 Revision) gives authority for Courts to grant free or subsidised legal aid in civil matters. |  learn more

Applying for Legal Aid (Criminal)

The Legal Aid Law (1999 Revision) gives authority for Courts to grant free or subsidised legal aid in criminal matters. | learn more

Contacting Legal Aid

Please contact:
Mrs. Elizabeth Webb
Legal Aid Officer
(tel:) 345 244 3829
(fax:) 345 949 9856

Bailiff Services

A Bailiff is appointed under The Grand Court Law (2006 Revision) and the duties are outlined in the Judicature Law.  | learn more

Small Claims

Where a claim is so small as not to justify engaging an attorney, claimants are encouraged to act for themselves.| learn more

Justices of the Peace

List of Justices of the Peace in the Cayman Islands. | learn more

Law Firms and Recognised Bodies

List of Law Firms and Recognised Bodies Licensed to Operate in the Cayman Islands. | learn more

Licensed Attorneys

A list of Attorney’s licensed to practice in the Cayman Islands.  This list will be updated monthly. | learn more

Notaries Public

List of Notaries Public licensed in the Cayman Islands. |  learn more

Assistance at the Courts

Claimants who need assistance for the filing of small claims should attend at the Court Civil Registry (Kirk House, 3rd Floor) and ask to speak to a Civil Clerk. | learn more

Being a Juror

Information for prospective jurors.  | more information

Being a Witness

Information to help you cope with giving evidence.|  learn more

Being an Observer

Most court cases are public events. You are able to walk in without invitation, sit down, and watch as much as you want. |  learn more

Being a Litigant

Any person who is a party to a lawsuit is called a litigant. |  learn more

Paying Court Fees

In addition to court fees, the Judicial Administration also collects Notary Public Fees, Legal Practitioners Fees, Law Firm Operational Fees, Legal Aid Contributions, Fees for subscription to reported and unreported judgments, and Miscellaneous Fees. | learn more

Paying Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket serves as a summons to appear in court in connection with the offence, however, as noted on the ticket, there is the alternative procedure of paying the fine. Fines must be paid  at the Court Finance Office (Kirk House) on or before 9:45 am on the date designated on ticket. | learn more

What is Probate & Administration?

When a person dies and leaves an estate somebody has to deal with his or her estate (this includes money, property and other possessions) by collecting in all the estate, paying any debts and distributing the estate to those persons entitled to it. | learn more

Resealing of Foreign Grants

Applications can be made by persons who have obtained a grant of representation from foreign courts in respect of the estates of persons who died domiciled outside the Cayman Islands leaving assets or property within the Islands. | learn more

Location of Probate Registry

The Probate Registry is located at the Courts building (Kirk House).

Primary Sources (Laws)

View primary sources for probate and administration. | learn more

Satisfying a Judgment Debt

Having secured a judgment by the court with regard to a debt, a creditor may seek the Court’s assistance in cases where a debtor is unable or refuses to pay the debt.

In such instances, the Court may make a number of orders. These include seizure of property, an examination of the debtor by the court to determine resources of the debtor, an attachment of earnings, or “garnishee” proceedings in which money owed to the debtor by a third party can be obtained for repayment of debts. | learn more

Customer Complaint Procedure

Judicial Administration strives to meet the needs of our customers, but we recognize that there maybe some occasions when the actions or comments of staff will not meet your expectations. Our Complaints Policy was formulated to allow us an opportunity to ensure the expectations of our customers are met. | learn more

Freedom of Information Policy & Procedure

As a public authority, the Judicial Administration is committed to openness, transparency and serving the public interest in compliance with the Freedom of Information Act (2021 Revision).  | learn more