Chief Justice of the Cayman Islands
HONOURABLE ANTHONY SMELLIE Q.C., J.P. LLD (H.C.) (Liverpool); LLB (Hons.) (U.W.I.) CLE.
- LLB Hons. (U.W.I.) 1975;
- CLE: post graduate professional qualification, Commonwealth Caribbean;
- Attorney-at-law, Jamaica;
- Clerk of the Courts, Westmoreland, Jamaica, 1976-1977;
- Crown Counsel and Assistant Director of Public Prosecution, Jamaica 1977 – 1983;
- Associate Lecturer, Norman Manley Law School; 1980-1983;
- Alumnus, International Development Law Institute, Rome, Italy; Diploma in Development & Finance Law; 1988;
- Principal Crown Counsel and Solicitor General, Cayman Islands, 1983 – 1992;
- Appointed one of Her Majesty’s Counsel, August 1991;
- Attorney General Cayman Islands (Acting), January 1992 – November 1992;
- Cayman Islands founding representative to the Caribbean Financial Action Task Force and team member Financial Action Task Force for the mutual evaluation of United States Legal and Financial Anti-money Laundering Regimes, 1996;
- Judge of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands, January 1993 – June 1998;
- Appointed Chief Justice of the Cayman Islands since June 1998;
- Mutual Legal Assistance Authority (Cayman – United States MLAT) since 1993;
- Honorary Bencher, Grays Inn, London, England;
- Honorary Fellow Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (University of London);
- Patron: Commonwealth Law Journal, Oxford University Press;
- Alumnus, London Business School (Executive Education Programme);
- Member – Insolvency Practitioners International (Insol);
- Honorary Doctor of Laws (Liverpool) conferred August 2006;
- Nominated as a member of the International Hague Network of Judges for the Convention of the Protection of Children: July 2011 to June 2013;
- Nominated by the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners as a judicial member in April 2013.
- Nominated Member of the International Insolvency Institute as of April 25 2017.
- Appointed to the Bermuda Court of Appeal in March 2018.